Based in Australia for the past twelve years, Paul is a former project director with large global operators such as Coffey International (TetraTech) and Turner Townsend Thinc. Paul has demonstrated commercial success across an international arena, bringing strong leadership and excellent project management skills, as well as an ability to manage a diverse workload and meet tight timescales. Multi-faceted and with a strong engineering background, he is as happy to step in for the Coffey MD to discuss business development at a global workshop as he is to successfully troubleshoot difficult projects. Paul is also experienced in ensuring the ongoing uninterrupted operation of live environments during major project deliveries such as Cairns Airport and Fremantle Port.
“Closing the gap on Indigenous Disadvantage”- part of the Federal Government’s vision to remove hazardous materials such as asbestos, at the time, this was Coffey’s biggest project in the northern territory. Involving 4,400 units of accommodation, a trial project was expanded to a further 67 communities creating a great logistical challenge with many communities only accessed by barge or light aircraft, including the area around “Snake River” as shown. Only 24% of the allocated budget was used.
- $1 billion coastal expansion project for Rio Tinto Iron Ore for its Pilbara expansion. Project management and development of the definitive engineering study which helped gain project approval.
- Project director for the construction of the new Adelaide Airport.
- Established and developed the Western Australia PM office for Coffey including delivering Woolworths and Smithfield shopping centres and a variety of other projects.
- Delivery of the extremely technical Groundwater Cooling project for CSIRO which cools Australia’s Pawsey supercomputer, saving 3m litres of water a year. A complex project with the aim of making Perth a world centre for ground cooling, it had never been attempted before and involved working with one of Australia’s top scientists.
- Project director for the £200m Cairns Airport Terminal delivery, the 5th busiest airport in Australia.
- PNG Ports, Papua New Guinea – after troubleshooting 22 difficult projects within 16 ports in the role of temporary executive general manager – engineering.
I’d love to bring my experience of renewable energy projects to the UK.
My family has a house overlooking Tynemouth Priory where St Bede taught and we have had many happy times and events there.