The term ‘connectivity’ is used a lot in business and is relevant in data centre construction, which has had to move quickly in recent years to keep pace with the huge increase in online usage, creating an entirely new specialist sector for construction professionals. Data centres already account for 3% of the grid power consumption in the UK and many high profile new facilities have been announced in response to both growing demand and new legal requirements. At the other end of the spectrum, many first-generation data centres need refurbishment to improve efficiency and rental competitiveness, as well as meeting government carbon reduction requirements. Headed up by our Data Centre Business Director, Paul O’Callaghan the Projex team is uniquely placed to offer an intelligent and creative approach to what has become a highly specialised marketplace. Paul’s experience includes management of the construction of Australia’s Pawsey Supercomputer for the SKA project, data centres across the campus wide network of the new Cairns airport, plus large new build data centre projects for one of the global leaders in DC build, own and operate business.
The team has extensive experience in:
- New build data centre construction across Europe from Tier 2 to Tier 4.
- Managing co-location projects where multiple users operate from the same building.
- Retaining live operations during refurbishments.
- Meeting changing tenant requirements, including fast turnarounds and incorporating planned resilience upgrades and the removal of SPOF where required.
- Replacing power systems, often following system failures or resilience issues arising from obsolete switchgear.
- Maximizing PUE and efficiency levels through the replacement of older, inefficient cooling platforms.
Paul is supported by a highly-experienced team that has a proven track record in all areas of project management, cost consultancy and principal designer. The team brings experience across multi-million pound technical projects with current activity including a programme for a $27 billion US telecoms organisation to increase capacity, resilience and efficiency: as well as an upgrade and refurbishment programme for a £5 billion UK based co-location provider which involves replacing HV and cooling platforms to offer market leading data centre space, at greater power densities, resilience and class leading PUE. Projex is also advising clients on various customer proposals across Europe, including Microsoft and Google.